❉ Ice-cold, calculating espionage thriller starring Richard Burton on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK.
Eureka Entertainment to release THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD; Martin Ritt’s sharp espionage thriller set in Cold War-era East Germany, starring Richard Burton; on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK as part of The Masters of Cinema Series from 17 May 2021. The first print run of 2000 copies will feature a Limited-Edition O-card Slipcase.
The acclaimed, best-selling novel by John le Carré, about a Cold War spy on one final dangerous mission in East Germany, is transmuted by director Martin Ritt (Hud, Norma Rae) into a film every bit as precise and ruthless as the book.
Academy Award-nominated Richard Burton (Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf, Becket, 1984) is superb as Alec Leamas, whose relationship with the beautiful librarian Nan, played by Claire Bloom (Hamlet, A Streetcar Named Desire), puts his assignment in jeopardy.
Winner of 4 BAFTA Awards (including Best British Film) The Spy Who Came in from the Cold is a hard-edged and tragic thriller, suffused with the political and social consciousness that defined Ritt’s career. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present the film on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK.
SPECIAL EDITION BLU-RAY CONTAINS
- Limited Edition Exclusive O-Card slipcase with new artwork by artist Grégory Sacré (Gokaiju)
- 1080p presentation on Blu-ray from a restored high-definition digital transfer
- Uncompressed LPCM Stereo audio/Optional English SDH
- Brand new audio commentary with film scholar Adrian Martin
- Brand new video essay by critic and filmmaker David Cairns
- PLUS: A 48 PAGE collector’s booklet featuring a new essay by Richard Combs; and a number of archival pieces and imagery
❉ ‘The Spy Who Came in from the Cold’ Eureka Entertainment Masters of Cinema Blu-ray released 17 May 2021. Cert. PG. RRP £22.99. Available to order from Eureka Store.
❉ News source: Eureka Entertainment.
❉ We Are Cult is not responsible for the content of this news release.