❉ A deliciously well-crafted murder mystery and one of the greatest and most essential film noirs of all time.
Eureka Entertainment to release Otto Preminger’s LAURA, a deliciously well-crafted murder mystery and one of the greatest and most essential film noirs of all time, on Blu-ray as part of The Masters of Cinema Series from 14 January 2019.
The only question about Laura is whether it’s simply one of the greatest film noir releases ever made, or if it’s indeed the quintessential film noir. Decide for yourself. This 1944 murder mystery classic from director Otto Preminger (replacing a fired Rouben Mamoulian) has only grown in stature over the years, with its hypnotic mixture of doomed romantic obsession, dizzying intrigue, and fatalistic cynicism marking it as essential noir.
Police detective Mark McPherson (Dana Andrews) is drawn into Manhattan high society as he investigates the death of stunning ad exec Laura Hunt (Gene Tierney), apparently shotgunned in her own apartment. The slithery suspects are numerous, led by effete, snobbish columnist Waldo Lydecker (Clifton Webb), and Laura’s philandering fiancé Shelby (Vincent Price), who’s also been cavorting with Laura’s wealthy aunt (Judith Anderson). McPherson begins to fall in love with Laura through a portrait in her home and the memories relayed by those who knew her…just as it becomes apparent that even the basic facts of the case might not be what they seemed.
Peppered with eternally quotable dialogue (“I should be sincerely sorry to see my neighbours’ children devoured by wolves.”) and sumptuous, Oscar-winning cinematography by Joseph LaShelle, Laura stands with The Big Sleep and Double Indemnity as one of the classic noir titles, and an undeniable American masterpiece.
Blu-Ray Special Features
- 1080p presentation on Blu-ray of both the extended and original theatrical versions of the film
- LPCM mono Audio
- Optional English SDH subtitles
- Audio commentary by composer David Raksin and film professor Jeanine Basinger
- Audio commentary by film historian Rudy Behlmer
- Laura: The Lux Radio Theater broadcasts – Two radio adaptations of Laura from 1945 [59 mins] and 1954 [57 mins], starring Dana Andrews, Gene Tierney and Vincent Price in the 1945 version, and Gene Tierney and Victor Mature in the 1954 version
- Laura: The Screen Guild Theater broadcast – Adaptation of Laura from radio anthology series, The Screen Guild Theater, originally aired in 1945 [30 mins], starring Dana Andrews, Gene Tierney and Clifton Webb
- Laura: The Ford Theater broadcast – A further radio adaptation of Laura from 1948, starring Virginia Gilmore and John Larkin
- A Tune for Laura: David Raksin Remembers – an archival interview with the renowned composer
- The Obsession – an archival featurette on Laura
- Deleted Scene
❉ Laura (Masters of Cinema) on Blu-ray as part of The Masters of Cinema Series from 14 January 2019. Cert PG. RRP £17.99. Available to order from: Amazon https://amzn.to/2ARcWSw | Zavvi http://po.st/sO67ch
❉ News source: Eureka Entertainment. Eureka Entertainment is the leading independent distributor of classic silent/early films in the UK, its existing catalogue also contains World Cinema, Action, Horror, Sci-Fi, Indie Dramas, Hollywood Classics, Comedy and Thriller films as well as a wide selection of TV titles, providing the diversity and selection necessary to continue to satisfy today’s market demands and to power the digital video revolution for years to come.
❉ We Are Cult is not responsible for the content of this news release.